Comparison of postoperative complications of envelope flap and triangular flap in surgical removal of mandibular third molar teeth, a double blind split-mouth study
AbstractIntroduction: Surgical removal of third mandibular molar is a common procedure in oral surgery. This procedure may have some complications. The aim of the present study was evaluation of the complications of envelope flap and triangular flap in surgical removal of mandibular thirdmolar teeth.Materials and Methods: this study was a double blind split mouth randomized technique. Sixty eight lower wisdom teeth from 34 patients were surgically removed. The triangular and envelope flaps were applied for each side and pain, edema and wound healing were assessed in second and seventh days after surgery. Data wereanalyzed by SPSS 21 software using non-parametric Wilcoxon Signed Ranks and t-test. P value less than 0.05 was considered significant level.Results: There were no statistically significant differences between these two type of flaps in present of pain, edema and wound healing after surgery.Conclusions: According to the results of the present study, selection of flap design depends on many variables like surgeon’s preference and skill.Key words: Third Molar, Pain, Swelling, Surgery, Wound Healing.
Koerner KR, Medlin KE. Clinical procedures for third molar surgery. 2nd ed. South Sheridan: Penn Well; 1995.
Szmyd L. Impacted teeth. Dent Clin North Am 1971; 15:299-318.
Kugelberg CF. Periodontal healing two and fouryears after impacted lower third molar surgery.A comparative retrospective study. Int J OralMaxillofac Surg 1990; 19(6):341-5.
Nageshwar. Comma incision for impacted thirdmolars. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 1506-9.
Donlon WC, Truta MP. Minimally invasive thirdmolar surgery. J Oral axillofac Surg. 2007;65(2):359;
Suarez-Cunqueiro MM, Gutwald R, ReichmanJ, Otero-Cepeda XL, chmezeisen R. Marginalvsparamarginal flap in impactedthird molarsurgery: a prospective study. Oral Surg Oral MedOral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003; 95:403-8.
Monaco G, Staffolani C, Gatto MR. Antibiotictherapy in impacted third molar surgery. Eur JOral Sci 1999; 107:437.
Sandhu A, Sandhu S, Kaur T. Comparison of twodifferent flap designs in the surgical removal ofbilateral impacted mandibular third molars. Int JOral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 39(11):1091-6
Karaca I, Simşek S, Uğar D, Bozkaya S. Reviewof flap de-sign influence on the health of theperiodontium after man-dibular third molarsurgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pa-tholOral Radiol Endod 2007; 104:18-23. Allen RT, Witherow H, Collyer J, Roper-Hall R, Nazir MA,Mathew G.
The mesioangular third molar--to extract or not to extract? Analysis of 776 consecutive third molars.Br Dent J 2009; 586-7.
Baqain ZH, Al-Shafii A, Hamdan AA, SawairFA. Flap design and mandibular third molarsurgery: a split mouth randomized clinical study.Int. J. Oral Maxillofac. Surg. 2012; 41:1020-1024.
Erdogan O, Tatlı U, Ustün Y, Damlar I. Influenceof two different flap designs on the sequelae ofmandibular third molar surgery. Oral MaxillofacSurg 2011; 15(3):147-52.
Kirk DG, Liston PN, Tong DC, Love RM. Influenceof two different flap designs on incidence of pain,swelling, trismus and alveolar osteitis in the week
following third molar surgery. Oral Surg Oral MedOral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 2007: 104: e1–e6.
Wood DL, Hoag PM, Donnenfeld OW, RosenfeldLD. Alveolar crest reduction following fulland partial thickness flaps. J Periodontol 1972;43(3):141-4.
Quee TAC, Gosselin D, Millar EP, Stamm JW.Surgical removal of the fully impacted thirdmolar: the influence of flap design and alveolarbone height on the periodontal status of thesecond molar. J Periodontol 1985; 56:625-30.
Schofield IDF, Kogon SL, Donner A. Long-term comparison of two surgical flap designs for thirdmolar surgery on the health of the periodontaltissue of the second molar tooth. J Can DentAssoc 1998; 54:689-91.
Gool AV, Bosch JJ, Boering G. Clinicalconsequences of complaints and complicationsafter removal of the mandibularthird molar. Int JOral Surg 1977:6:29–37.
Jakse N, Bankaoglu V, Wimmer G, Eskici A, PertlC. Primary wound healing after lower third molarsurgery: evaluation of two different flap designs.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 2002; 93:7-12.
Rahpeyma A, Khajehahmadi S, Ilkhani S. WoundDehiscence after Wisdom Tooth Removal inMandibular Mesioangular Class IB Impactions:Triangular Transposition Flap versus EnvelopeFlap. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2015Summer; 9(3):175-80.
Yolcu Ü, Acar AH. Comparison of a new flap designwith the routinely used triangular flap design inthird molar surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg.2015 Nov; 44(11):1390-7.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.