Peripheral osteoma associated with peripheral ossifying fibroma: A case report
AbstractOsteoma is a benign osteogenic neoplasm composed of mature compact or cancellous bone and classified as central, peripheral or extra-skeletal. Peripheral type of osteoma is rare. The maxillary sinuses are the most common sites of involvement. It is rare in jaws. Peripheral ossifying fibroma is a reactive lesion of oral tissues, associated with local factors such as trauma or irritation factors. In this paper, we presented the first case of solitary peripheral osteoma associated with peripheral ossifying fibroma. The lesion was located in the lingual surface of the left posterior area of mandible in a 32-year-old woman. The lesion was removed surgically, and no recurrence has been observed after six months follow up. Keywords: Peripheral osteoma, Peripheral ossifying fibroma, Mandible.
Sasidharan A, Gohil A Koshy S, Kumar Gupta A. Bony tumour in an unusual location on the mandible. Indian J Plast Surg. 2015 May-Aug; 48(2): 200–203.
Kshirsagar K, Bhate K, Pawar V, Kumar S, Kheur S, Dusane Sh. Solitary Peripheral Osteoma of the Angle of the Mandible. Case Reports in Dentistry 2015, 430619, 4 pages.
Singhal P, Singhal A, Ram R, Gupta R. Peripheral osteoma in a young patient: A marker for precancerous condition?. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2012;30:74-7
Bulut E, Acikgoz A, Ozan B, Gunhan O. Large peripheral osteoma of the mandible: A case report. Int J Dent 2010;2010:834761.
Horikawa FK, de Freitas RR, Maciel FA, Gonçalves AJ. Peripheral osteoma of the maxillofacial region: a study of 10 cases. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol.2012;78(5):38-43
Sayit AT, Kutlar G, Idilman IS, Gunbey PH, Celik A. Peripheral osteoma of the mandible with radiologic and histopathologic findings. J Oral Maxillofac Radiol 2014;2:35-7.
Hemant Shakya. Peripheral Osteoma of the Mandible. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2011; 1: 56.
Sairam V, Padmaja K, Praveen Kumar B, Naresh G , Vikas Reddy G. Peripheral Ossifying Fibroma: A Case Report. Advances in Dentistry and Oral Health. 2016;1(3).
Bhasin M, Bhasin V, Bhasin A. Peripheral Ossifying Fibroma. Case Reports in Dentistry 2013, 497234, 3 pages
Mohiuddin Kh, Priya N.S, Ravindra Sh, Muthy S. Peripheral Ossifying Fibroma. J Indian Soc Peridontol. 2013; 17(4):507-9.
El Achkar VNR, Medeiros RDS, Longue FG, Anbinder AL, Kaminagakura E. The role of Osterix protein in the pathogenesis of peripheral ossifying fibroma. Braz Oral Res. 2017 Jul 3;31:e53.
Woldenberg Y, Nash M, Bodner L. Peripheral osteoma of the maxillofacial region. Diagnosis and management: a study of 14 cases. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2005 Jul 1;10 Suppl 2:E139-42.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.