The effect of the submucosal injection of dexamethasone on postoperative discomfort after impacted mandibular third molar surgery
AbstractIntroduction: Our study was designed to assess the effect of the submucosal injection of dexamethasone on postoperative discomfort after surgical removal of impacted mandibular third molars.Materials and methods: Twenty six patients with bilaterally bony impacted mandibular third molars were recruited to this split mouth study. On the study side, prior to surgery, 8 mg of dexamethasone was injected in buccal vestibule submucosally, while the control side received no steroid. Complications such as swelling, trismus and infection were evaluated postoperatively.Results: The results showed that the patients experienced significantly less swelling (p= 0.001) on study side on the 3rd and 7th postoperative days compared to the control side. The amount of trismus was significantly less (p=0.001) after submucosal injection of dexamethasone on both time intervals.Conclusion: Perioperative submucosal injection of dexamethasone can significantly reduce postoperative swelling and trismus after surgical removal of the impacted teeth.
Thomas D, Walker R, Smith A, Shepherd J. The provision of oral surgery services in England and Wales 1984-1991. British Dental Journal 1994;176: 215 – 219.
Blondeau, F. and Daniel NG. Extraction of impacted mandibular third molars: postoperative complications and their risk factors. J Can Dent Assoc, 2007. 73(4): p. 325.
Kim K, Brar P, akubowski J, Kaltman S, Lopez E.The use of corticosteroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication for the management of pain and inflammation after third molar surgery: a review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod.2009 ;107:630-40.
Lara-de la Fuente R. Steroid infiltrations inorthopedics.ActaOrtop Mex. 2011;25:12-6.
Graziani F, D'Aiuto F, Arduino PG, Tonelli M, Gabriele M. Perioperative dexamethasone reduces post-surgical sequelae of wisdom tooth removal. A split-mouth randomized double- masked clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg.2006;35:241-6.
Neff SP, Stapelberg F, Warmington A.Excruciating perineal pain after intravenous dexamethasone. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2002;30:370-1.
Gunal I, Karatosun V. Avascular necrosis of the femoral heads after single corticosteroid injection. CMAJ 2006;175:31.
Holland CS. The influence of methylprednisolone on post-operative swelling following oral surgery. Brit J Oral and Maxillofac Surg 1987;25: 293-299.
Tiigimae-Saar J, Leibur E, Tamme T. The effect of prednisolone on reduction of complaints after impacted third molar removal Stomatologia.2010;12:17-22.
Markiewicz MR, Brady MF, Ding EL, Dodson TB. Corticosteroids reduce postoperative morbidity after third molar surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;66:1881-94.
Dodson TB. Corticosteroid administration in oral and orthognathic surgery. Evid Based Dent.2011; 12:49-50.
Grossi GB, Maiorana C, Garramone RA, Borgonovo A, Beretta M, Farronato D, Santoro F. Effect of submucosal injection of dexamethasone on postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007 Nov; 65(11):2218-26.
Majid OW, Mahmood WK.. Effect of submucosal and intramuscular dexamethasone on postoperative sequelae after third molar surgery: comparative study. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg,2011. 49(8): p. 647-52.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.