Bilateral infratemporal spaces abscess following removal of suspension wires: a case report
AbstractThe infratemporal fossa is an anatomic space of great importance in the head.Abscesses of this space re rare but potentially life threatening. Regarding the proximity of some important anatomical features of the head, dealing with infratemporal space infection needs great consideration both in examination and surgical practice.In this case report, infratempora space abscess formation following the removal of zygomatic arch suspension wire in a healthy, male, young patient and its treatment protocol are presented.
Fonseca RJ, editor: Oral and maxillofacial surgery, 1st ed. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier,2000. Vol 5, Chap.5, pp. 237-9.
Miloro M, Ghali Ge, Larsen Pe, Waite Pd,editors: Peterson’s principles of oral andmaxillofacial surgery. 5th ed, Hamilton: bcdecker, 2008. Vol.1, pp. 318-24.
Huang TT, Tseng FY, Liu TC, Hsu CJ, Chen YS.Deep neck infections in diabetic patients:comparison of clinical picture and outcomes withnondiabetic patients. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005;132:943-7.
Akst LM, Albani BJ, Strome M. Subacuteinfratemporal fossa cellulitis with subsequent abscess formation in an immunocompromised patient. Am J Otolaryngol 2005;26:35–8.
Kamath M P, Bhojwani K M, Mahal A,Meyyappan H, Abhiiitk. Infratemporal fossa abscess: a diagnostic dilemma. Ear Nose Throat J2009;88:23.
Mesgarzadeh AH, Ghavimi MA, Gok G,Zarghami A. Infratemporal Space Infection Following Maxillary Third Molar Extraction in an Uncontrolled Diabetic Patient. JODDD
Leventhal D, Schwartz DN. Infratemporal fossa abscess: complication of dental injection. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008;134(5):551-3.
Diacono MS, Wass AR. Infratemporal and temporal fossa abscess complicating dental extraction. J Accid Emerg Med 1998;15:59-67.
Newman Mh, Emley We. Chronic masticator space infection. Arch otolaryngol head neck surg 1974;99:128–31.
Weiss Br. Infratemporal fossa abscess unusual complication of maxillary sinus racture.Laryngoscope 1977;87:1130–3.
Gallagher J, Marley J. Infratemporal and submasseteric infection following extraction of non-infected maxillary third molar. Br Dent J 2003;194:307–9.
Wang Wd, Sun Dx, Qiu Wl. Differential diagnosis between infection and neoplasm of the infratemporal fossa. Zhonghua kou Qiang yi Xueza zhi 1994;29(5):259–61.
Caruso VG. Masticator space abscess complicating removal of suspension wires: case report. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1978;87:266-9.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.