Dentists’ knowledge and practice about emergency management of dental trauma
AbstractIntroduction: Traumatic dental injuries (TDIs) are not uncommon but there is a notableinadequacyregarding dentists’ readiness to manage these injuries. Proper immediate management of TDIs increases the long-term prognosis of traumatized teeth and depends extremely on dentists’knowledge. The aim of this study was to evaluate knowledge and self-reported practice of dentists regarding management of TDIs.Materials and Methods: The participants of this cross-sectional study were dentists in annual congress of Iranian Dental Association. A valid and reliable questionnaire consisting demographic information, the working experience regarding TDIs, knowledge, and self-reportedpractice towards emergency management of TDIs was distributed among 260 dentists. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics and linear regression model by SPSS 24 software.Results: 220 dentists participated in the study among them 180 respondents completely fulfilled the questionnaire (completeness rate= 81%). The mean age was 34.6±9.3 years. Among the participants,43.3% were male and 56.7% were female. The most of respondents (37.8%) reported working experience for less than five cases of TDIs. Average score of knowledge and self-reported practices were 3.94±1.64 (out of 11) and 8.48±1.74 (out of 13), respectively. Linear regression model which evaluated the effect of confounding factors showed that female dentists and whom had more experienceson managing TDIs cases had higher knowledge score. Furthermore, working experience on managing TDIs cases led to the increase in self-reported practice score.Conclusion: Knowledge of dentists in the field of emergency management of TDIs is undesirableand it indicates the need for more comprehensive educational efforts.Keywords: Dental injuries, Dentists, Knowledge, Professional practice.
Antunes LA, Andrade MR, Leão AT, Maia LC, Luiz RR. Change in the quality of life of children andadolescents under 14 years old after oral healthinterventions. Pediatr Dent. 2013; 35(4):37-42
Naidoo S, Sheiham A, Tsakos G. Traumatic dentalinjuries of permanent incisors in 11- to 13- yearoldSouth African schoolchildren. Dent Traumatol.2009; 25(2):224-8.
Mc Tigue DJ: Managing traumatic injuries in theyoung permanent dentition. In: CasamassimoPS, Fields HW, Mc Tigue DJ, Nowak AJ: Pediatricdentistry infancy through adolescence, 5thed.Chap. 34. Pp. 503-16. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier,2013.
Razeghi S, Mohebi S, Mahmoudi M. Mothers’knowledge and self-reported practice on managementof traumatic dental injuries in 8-years-oldchildren and it determinants. Iranian J PediatricDent. 2014, 10(1): 69-76.
Glendor U. Aetiology and risk factors related totraumatic dental injuries--a review of the literature.Dent Traumatol. 2009; 25(1):19-31.
Levin L, Zadik Y. Education on and prevention ofdental trauma: it’s time to act! Dent Traumatol.2012; 28(1):49-54.
Mohebbi SZ, Razeghi S, Yasaie AH, Kharrazi FardMJ. Dental students’ knowledge about emergencymanagement of dental Trauma. Journal of CraniomaxillofacialResearch. 2017; 4(1): 296-300.
Akhlaghi N, Nourbakhsh N, Khademi A, Karimi L. General dental practitioners’ knowledge aboutemergency management of dental trauma. IranEndod J.2014; 9(4):251-6.
Seyfi N, Valizadeh M. Evaluation of general dentists’knowledge regarding management of dentaltrauma. Journal of Dental Medicine (Tehran Universityof Medical Sciences). 2017; 29 (4) :271-276.
Seraj B, Shahrabi M, Bijani M, Haeri AA. GeneralDental Practitioners ‘knowledge about EmergencyManagement of Pediatric Dental Trauma inTehran. J Islamic Dental Association. 2007:19 (4):pages 18-22.
Hamilton FA, Quist SA, Allander L. An investigationof dento-alveolar trauma and its treatment inan adolescent population, part 2: dentists’ knowledgeof management methods and their perceptionsof barriers to providing care. Br Dent J. 1997;22(4):12-16.
Skaare AB, Pawlowski AA, MasengAas AL, EspelidI. Dentists’ self- estimation of their competenceto treat avulsion and root fracture injuries. Dent Traumatol. 2015; 31(5):368-73.
Re D, Augusti D, Paglia G, Augusti G, Cotti E.Treatment of traumatic dental injuries: evaluationof knowledgeamong Italian dentists. Eur J PaediatrDent. 2014; 15(1):23-8
Kostopoulou MN, Duggal MS. A study into dentists’knowledgeof the treatment of traumatic injuriesto young permanent incisors. Int J PaediatrDent. 2005; 15(1):10-9.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.