The effect of alar release on interalar changes in Le Fort I osteotomy
AbstractIntroduction: Due to the increase in Le Fort surgeries and its effect on nose widening, it seems necessary to use an alternative method without this effect. The present research examined the effect of alar release on interalar changes in Le Fort I osteotomy.Materials and Methods: The study population included patients admitted to Bou-Ali Hospital in 2012-2013 undergoing Le Fort I osteotomy. The samples were 26, selected using simple random sampling method. Fourteen patients who underwent osteotomy with alar release were considered as experimental group and 12 who underwent conventional orthognathic surgery considered as control group. Then, the width of interalar was measured with actual size in photography.Results: The initial interalar width in experimental group was 4.1 mm; 12% wider than control group (p<0.000). After surgery, the interalar width in control and experimental groups were 36.2 and 39.6mm respectively that revealed a significant difference (p<0.01). The interalar width in control group increased 1.45±2.25 which showed a significant difference (p<0.05). In experimental group the increase was 0.28±2.48 reporting a significant difference (p<0.4). The change of interalar width in control group was 0.62 mm; 74.7% more than experimental group and Man-Whitney U test reported this difference as significant. Nine patients (75%) in control and 7 patients (50%) in experimental group experienced improvement. The relative risk for patients received alar release, was 1.5 higher (RR-1.5) and attributable risk of not using alar release for interalar width increase 25% (A.R-25%). Chi-square test showed that this difference was not significant (p<0.3).Conclusion: Basically, using alar release would probably prevent increase of interalar width in Le Fort I osteotomy.
Schendel SA, Carlotti AE. Nasal considerations in orthognathic surgery. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1991 Sep;100(3):197-208.
Collins PC, Epker BN. The alar base cinch: atechnique for prevention of alar base flaring secondary to maxillary surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1982 Jun;53(6):549-53.
Gunter JP. Tip Rhinoplasty: A Personal Approach. Facial Plast Surg. 2008;4(04):263-75.
Muradin MS, Rosenberg A, van der Bilt A,Stoelinga PJW, Stoelinga PJ, Koole R. The effect of alar cinch sutures and V-Y closure on softtissue dynamics after Le Fort I intrusion osteotomies. 20090811 DCOM-20091026(1878-4119 (Electronic)).
Rauso R, Gherardini GF, Santillo V, Santillo V,Biondi P, Santagata M, et al. Comparison of twotechniques of cinch suturing to avoid widening of the base of the nose after Le Fort I osteotomy.20100614 DCOM- 20100922(1532-1940(Electronic)).
Rohrich RJ, Hoxworth RE, Thornton JF, PessaJE. The pyriform ligament. Plast Reconstr Surg.2008 Jan;121(1):277-81.
Gruber RP, Freeman MB, Hsu C, Elyassnia D,Reddy V. Nasal base reduction: a treatment algorithm including alar release with
medialization. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Feb;123(2):716-25.
Gruber RP, Freeman MB, Hsu C, Elyassnia D,Reddy V. Nasal base reduction by alar release: alaboratory evaluation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009Feb;123(2):709-15.
Raymond J. Fonseca D, Timothy A. Turvey,DDS and Robert D. Marciani, DMD Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2 ed: Elsevier; 2009.
Rohrich RI, Raniere I Ir, Ha RY. The alar contour graft: correction and prevention of alar rim deformities in rhinoplasty. Plast ReconstrSurg. 2002;109: 2495-2505.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.