Low level laser therapy efficacy on orthodontic induced pain management: A review
AbstractIntroduction: Pain control in patients undergoing orthodontic treatment is one of the major challenges of such treatments. The use of new technologies such as Laser offers promising results in this field. The goal of this study is to survey the works on effect of low-power laser on pain relief during orthodontic treatments. Materials and Methods: The key terms including “orthodontics, reduction, pain, low level, power, laser and laser therapy” alone as well as combinations. Those key terms were used to search the databases including “Google Scholar, Science Direct, and PubMed”. The review of collected sources was done which led to selection of 557 papers. The validation was done through CONSORT guidelines.Results: After review of selected papers, 34 studies including 32 human studies and 2 animal studies were selected.Conclusion: The positive findings of reviewed studies on use of laser therapy suggest that low power laser could be effective on pain relief. Conducting further studies on this subject will be beneficial.Keywords: Orthodontics; Pain; Review; Low-power; Laser.
1. Shenoy N, Shetty S, Ahmed J, Shenoy KA. The pain management in orthodontics. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research : JCDR. 2013;7(6):1258-60.
2. Topolski F, Moro A, Correr GM, Schimim SC. Optimal management of orthodontic pain. Journal of pain research. 2018;11:589.
3. Hussain AS, Al Toubity MJ, Elias WY. Methodologies in Orthodontic Pain Management: A Review. The open dentistry journal. 2017;11:492.
4. Sudhakar V, Vinodhini TS, Mohan AM, Srinivasan B, Rajkumar BK. The efficacy of different pre- and post-operative analgesics in the management of pain after orthodontic separator placement: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences. 2014;6(Suppl 1):S80-4.
5. Jose JA, Somaiah S, Muddaiah S, Shetty B, Reddy G, Roopa S. A comparative evaluation of interleukin 1 beta and prostaglandin E2 with and without low-level laser therapy during En masse retraction. Contemporary clinical dentistry. 2018;9(2):267.
6. Gigo-Benato D, Geuna S, de Castro Rodrigues A, Tos P, Fornaro M, Boux E, et al. Low-power laser biostimulation enhances nerve repair after end-to-side neurorrhaphy: a double-blind randomized study in the rat median nerve model. Lasers in medical science. 2004;19(1):57-65.
7. Harazaki M, Takahashi H, Ito A, Isshiki Y. Soft laser irradiation induced pain reduction in orthodontic treatment. The Bulletin of Tokyo Dental College. 1998;39(2):95-101.
8. Aimbire F, Albertini R, Pacheco M, Castro-Faria-Neto H, Leonardo P, Iversen V, et al. Low-level laser therapy induces dose-dependent reduction of TNFα levels in acute inflammation. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2006;24(1):33-7.
9. Bjordal JM, Johnson MI, Iversen V, Aimbire F, Lopes-Martins RAB. Low-level laser therapy in acute pain: a systematic review of possible mechanisms of action and clinical effects in randomized placebo-controlled trials. Photomedicine and Laser Therapy. 2006;24(2):158-68.
10. Bjordal JM, Couppé C, Chow RT, Tunér J, Ljunggren EA. A systematic review of low level laser therapy with location-specific doses for pain from chronic joint disorders. Journal of Physiotherapy. 2003;49(2):107-16.
11. Gam AN, Thorsen H, Lønnberg F. The effect of low-level laser therapy on musculoskeletal pain: a meta-analysis. Pain. 1993;52(1):63-6.
12. Yousefi‐Nooraie R, Schonstein E, Heidari K, Rashidian A, Pennick V, Akbari‐Kamrani M, et al. Low level laser therapy for nonspecific low‐back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2008(2).
13. Maia MLdM, Bonjardim LR, Quintans JdSS, Ribeiro MAG, Maia LGM, Conti PCR. Effect of low-level laser therapy on pain levels in patients with temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review. Journal of Applied Oral Science. 2012;20(6):594-602.
14. Salate AC, Barbosa G, Gaspar P, Koeke PU, Parizotto NA, Benze BG, et al. Effect of In-Ga-Al-P diode laser irradiation on angiogenesis in partial ruptures of Achilles tendon in rats. Photomedicine and Laser Therapy. 2005;23(5):470-5.
15. Shibata Y, Ogura N, Yamashiro K, Takashiba S, Kondoh T, Miyazawa K, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of linear polarized infrared irradiation on interleukin-1β-induced chemokine production in MH7A rheumatoid synovial cells. Lasers in medical science. 2005;20(3-4):109-13.
16. Gur A, Sarac AJ, Cevik R, Altindag O, Sarac S. Efficacy of 904 nm gallium arsenide low level laser therapy in the management of chronic myofascial pain in the neck: A double‐blind and randomize‐controlled trial. Lasers in surgery and medicine. 2004;35(3):229-35.
17. Giuliani A, Fernandez M, Farinelli M, Baratto L, Capra E. and pain in experimental models. BIOSCIENCE. 2004;26(1/2):29-37.
18. Toida M, Watanabe F, Goto K, Shibata T. Usefulness of low-level laser for control of painful stomatitis in patients with hand-foot-and-mouth disease. Journal of clinical laser medicine & surgery. 2003;21(6):363-7.
19. Sun G, Tuner J. Low-level laser therapy in dentistry. Dental Clinics of North America. 2004;48(4):1061-76, viii.
20. Bucci R, Michelotti A, editors. Somatosensory changes in orthodontics—findings from quantitative sensory testing (QST) studies. Seminars in Orthodontics; 2018: Elsevier.
21. Rygh P. Orthodontic root resorption studied by electron microscopy. The Angle orthodontist. 1977;47(1):1-16.
22. Tomizuka R, Shimizu Y, Kanetaka H, Suzuki A, Urayama S, Kikuchi M, et al. Histological evaluation of the effects of initially light and gradually increasing force on orthodontic tooth movement. The Angle orthodontist. 2007;77(3):410-6.
23. Long H, Wang Y, Jian F, Liao L-N, Yang X, Lai W-L. Current advances in orthodontic pain. International journal of oral science. 2016;8(2):67.
24. Krishnan V, Davidovitch Ze. Cellular, molecular, and tissue-level reactions to orthodontic force. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2006;129(4):469. e1-. e32.
25. Tripathi T, Ganesh G, Rai P. Pain Pathways and Effect of Low Level Laser Therapy on Pain During Fixed Orthodontic Treatment-an Overview. European Journal of Dentistry and Medicine. 2016;8:1-5.
26. Farivar S, Malekshahabi T, Shiari R. Biological effects of low level laser therapy. Journal of lasers in medical sciences. 2014;5(2):58.
27. Kitchen SS, Partridge CJ. A review of low level laser therapy: Part I: background, physiological effects and hazards. Physiotherapy. 1991;77(3):161-8.
28. Lee J-H, Chiang M-H, Chen P-H, Ho M-L, Lee H-E, Wang Y-H. Anti-inflammatory effects of low-level laser therapy on human periodontal ligament cells: in vitro study. Lasers in medical science. 2018;33(3):469-77.
29. Singh J, Dixit P, Singh P, Kedia NB, Tiwari MK, Kumar A. Pain perception and personality trait toward orthodontic treatment. Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry. 2017;7(6):377.
30. Farias RD, Motta RH. Low-level laser therapy for controlling pain in orthodontic patients during the use of elastic separators: randomized clinical trial. Laser Physics Letters. 2018;15(9):095602.
31. Banerjee S, Banerjee R, Shenoy U, Agarkar S, Bhattacharya S. Effect of orthodontic pain on quality of life of patients undergoing orthodontic treatment. Indian Journal of Dental Research. 2018;29(1):4.
32. Khan SQ, Dsouza J, Ashraf B, Talat M. PAIN ANTICIPATED and PAIN EXPERIENCED DURING ORTHODONTIC PROCEDURES. Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal. 2017;37(3).
33. Deguchi T, Kim D, Kamioka H. CO2 low‐level laser therapy has an early but not delayed pain effect during experimental tooth movement. Orthodontics & craniofacial research. 2017;20:172-6.
34. Hoseyni AM, Pirmoradian-Najafabadi M, Ashnagar S, Nokhbatolfoghahaei H, Fekrazad R. Effect of low level laser therapy on pain reduction after midpalatal expansion in rats. Journal of Dentistry of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. 2016;12(9):655-61.
35. Qamruddin I, Alam MK, Abdullah H, Kamran MA, Jawaid N, Mahroof V. Effects of single-dose, low-level laser therapy on pain associated with the initial stage of fixed orthodontic treatment: A randomized clinical trial. The Korean Journal of Orthodontics. 2018;48(2):90-7.
36. Guram G, Reddy RK, Dharamsi AM, Ismail PMS, Mishra S, Prakashkumar MD. Evaluation of Low-Level Laser Therapy on Orthodontic Tooth Movement: A Randomized Control Study. Contemporary clinical dentistry. 2018;9(1):105.
37. Martins IP, Martins RP, Caldas SGFR, dos Santos-Pinto A, Buschang PH, Pretel H. Low-level laser therapy (830 nm) on orthodontic pain: blinded randomized clinical trial. Lasers in medical science. 2018:1-6.
38. Giudice AL, Nucera R, Perillo L, Paiusco A, Caccianiga G. Is Low-level Laser Therapy an effective method to alleviate pain induced by active orthodontic alignment arch-wire? A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice. 2018.
39. Matarese G, Matarese M, Picciolo G, Fiorillo L, Isola G. Evaluation of Low-Level Laser Therapy with Diode Laser for the Enhancement of the Orthodontic Tooth Movement: a Split-Mouth Study. 2018.
40. Nahin J, Arshad F, Srinivas B, Kumar S, Lokesh N. The Efficacy of Low-level Laser Therapy on Pain caused by Placement of the First Orthodontic Archwire: A Clinical Study. The journal of contemporary dental practice. 2018;19(4):450-5.
41. Wu S, Chen Y, Zhang J, Chen W, Shao S, Shen H, et al. Effect of low-level laser therapy on tooth-related pain and somatosensory function evoked by orthodontic treatment. International journal of oral science. 2018;10(3):22.
42. Qamruddin I, Alam MK, Mahroof V, Fida M, Khamis MF, Husein A. Effects of low-level laser irradiation on the rate of orthodontic tooth movement and associated pain with self-ligating brackets. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2017;152(5):622-30.
43. Kochar GD, Londhe SM, Varghese B, Jayan B, Kohli S, Kohli VS. Effect of low-level laser therapy on orthodontic tooth movement. Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society. 2017;51(2):81.
44. AlSayed Hasan MMA, Sultan K, Hamadah O. Evaluating low-level laser therapy effect on reducing orthodontic pain using two laser energy values: a split-mouth randomized placebo-controlled trial. European journal of orthodontics. 2017;40(1):23-8.
45. Yanaguizawa MS, Suzuki SS, Martinez EF, Suzuki H, Pelegrin MCJ, Garcez AS. Effects of low-level laser therapy in orthodontic patients on immediate inflammatory response after mini-implants insertion: a preliminary report. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2017;35(1):57-63.
46. Bayani S, Rostami S, Ahrari F, Saeedipouya I. A randomized clinical trial comparing the efficacy of bite wafer and low level laser therapy in reducing pain following initial arch wire placement. Laser therapy. 2016;25(2):121-9.
47. Almallah MM, Almahdi WH, Hajeer MY. Evaluation of low level laser therapy on pain perception following orthodontic elastomeric separation: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. 2016;10(11):ZC23.
48. Deshpande P, Patil K, Mahima V, Shivalinga B, Suchetha M, Ranjan A. Low-level laser therapy for alleviation of pain from fixed orthodontic appliance therapy: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Advanced Clinical & Research Insights. 2016;3:43-6.
49. Farias RD, Closs LQ, Miguens Jr SAQ. Evaluation of the use of low-level laser therapy in pain control in orthodontic patients: A randomized split-mouth clinical trial. The Angle orthodontist. 2015;86(2):193-8.
50. Qamruddin I, Alam MK, Fida M, Khan AG. Effect of a single dose of low-level laser therapy on spontaneous and chewing pain caused by elastomeric separators. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2016;149(1):62-6.
51. Sobouti F, Khatami M, Chiniforush N, Rakhshan V, Shariati M. Effect of single-dose low-level helium-neon laser irradiation on orthodontic pain: a split-mouth single-blind placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial. Progress in orthodontics. 2015;16(1):32.
52. Furquim RD, Pascotto RC, Rino Neto J, Cardoso JR, Ramos AL. Low-level laser therapy effects on pain perception related to the use of orthodontic elastomeric separators. Dental press journal of orthodontics. 2015;20(3):37-42.
53. Abtahi SM, Mousavi SA, Shafaee H, Tanbakuchi B. Effect of low-level laser therapy on dental pain induced by separator force in orthodontic treatment. Dental research journal. 2013;10(5):647-51.
54. Dominguez A, Velasquez SA. Effect of low-level laser therapy on pain following activation of orthodontic final archwires: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2013;31(1):36-40.
55. Dominguez A, Gomez C, Palma JC. Effects of low-level laser therapy on orthodontics: rate of tooth movement, pain, and release of RANKL and OPG in GCF. Lasers in medical science. 2013.
56. Eslamian L, Borzabadi-Farahani A, Hassanzadeh-Azhiri A, Badiee MR, Fekrazad R. The effect of 810-nm low-level laser therapy on pain caused by orthodontic elastomeric separators. Lasers in medical science. 2014;29(2):559-64.
57. Kim WT, Bayome M, Park JB, Park JH, Baek SH, Kook YA. Effect of frequent laser irradiation on orthodontic pain. A single-blind randomized clinical trial. The Angle orthodontist. 2013;83(4):611-6.
58. Marini I, Bartolucci ML, Bortolotti F, Innocenti G, Gatto MR, Alessandri Bonetti G. The effect of diode superpulsed low-level laser therapy on experimental orthodontic pain caused by elastomeric separators: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Lasers in medical science. 2013.
59. Nobrega C, da Silva EM, de Macedo CR. Low-level laser therapy for treatment of pain associated with orthodontic elastomeric separator placement: a placebo-controlled randomized double-blind clinical trial. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2013;31(1):10-6.
60. Artés-Ribas M, Arnabat-Dominguez J, Puigdollers A. Analgesic effect of a low-level laser therapy (830 nm) in early orthodontic treatment. Lasers in medical science. 2013;28(1):335-41.
61. Bicakci AA, Kocoglu-Altan B, Toker H, Mutaf I, Sumer Z. Efficiency of low-level laser therapy in reducing pain induced by orthodontic forces. Photomedicine and laser surgery. 2012;30(8):460-5.
62. Doshi-Mehta G, Bhad-Patil WA. Efficacy of low-intensity laser therapy in reducing treatment time and orthodontic pain: a clinical investigation. American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics : official publication of the American Association of Orthodontists, its constituent societies, and the American Board of Orthodontics. 2012;141(3):289-97.
63. Doshi-Mehta G, Bhad-Patil WA. Efficacy of low-intensity laser therapy in reducing treatment time and orthodontic pain: A clinical investigation. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2012;141(3):289-97.
64. Shafeeqee M, Ali H, Narayanan M. A REVIEW ON LASERS: LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY AND REDUCING PAIN IN ORTHODONTICS. PARIPEX-INDIAN JOURNAL OF RESEARCH. 2018;7(6).
65. Deana NF, Zaror C, Sandoval P, Alves N. Effectiveness of low-level laser therapy in reducing orthodontic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain Research and Management. 2017;2017.
66. Maheshwari S, Verma S, Gaur A. Recent advances in the management of orthodontic pain. Journal of Dental Research and Scientific Development. 2015;2(1):13-.
67. He WL, Li CJ, Liu ZP, Sun JF, Hu ZA, Yin X, et al. Efficacy of low-level laser therapy in the management of orthodontic pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lasers in medical science. 2013;28(6):1581-9.
68. Keane A, O'Connell B, Garvey T, Al-Awadhi EA. Are non-pharmacological interventions to alleviate pain during orthodontic treatment as effective as pharmacological interventions? Journal of the Irish Dental Association. 2017;63(3).
69. Farsaii A, Al-Jewair T. Insufficient evidence supports the use of low-level laser therapy to accelerate tooth movement, prevent orthodontic relapse, and modulate acute pain during orthodontic treatment. Journal of Evidence Based Dental Practice. 2017;17(3):262-4.
70. Fleming PS, Strydom H, Katsaros C, MacDonald L, Curatolo M, Fudalej P, et al. Non‐pharmacological interventions for alleviating pain during orthodontic treatment. The Cochrane Library. 2016.
71. Fleming PS, Al-Moghrabi D, Fudalej P, Pandis N, editors. Orthodontic pain: The use of non-pharmacological adjuncts and its effect on compliance. Seminars in Orthodontics; 2018: Elsevier.
72. Li F, Zhang J, Zeng X, Guo Y. Low-level laser therapy for orthodontic pain: a systematic review. Lasers in medical science. 2015;30(6):1789-803.
73. Ren C, McGrath C, Yang Y. The effectiveness of low-level diode laser therapy on orthodontic pain management: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lasers in medical science. 2015;30(7):1881-93.
74. Sonesson M, De Geer E, Subraian J, Petrén S. Efficacy of low-level laser therapy in accelerating tooth movement, preventing relapse and managing acute pain during orthodontic treatment in humans: a systematic review. BMC oral health. 2017;17(1):11.
75. Sandhu SS, Cheema MS, Khehra HS. Comparative effectiveness of pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions for orthodontic pain relief at peak pain intensity: a Bayesian network meta-analysis. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. 2016;150(1):13-32.
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Craniomaxillofacial Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.