Primary mucosal melanoma: A case report
AbstractMalignant melanoma is an aggressive malignancy of melanocytes affecting both skin and mucosa. Primary oral melanoma occurs 0.2-8% of all melanomas and accounts for 0.5% of all oral malignancies.Oral mucosal melanoma is different from cutaneous melanoma because of different etiology, genetic alteration and prognosis. We present a case of primary mucosal melanoma in a 33 years old man with the previous report of peripheral giant cell granuloma in the same site. Thepatient died less than one year because of numerous distant metastases. We suggest early diagnosis of oral melanoma can improve survival rate of the patients such as other primary oral malignancy.
Beier U, Salinas T, Puelacher W. Resection of a primary oral malignant melanoma and rehabilitative management using nasolabial flap: a case report.Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 16:141–145.
Hao Song, Lizhen Wang, Jiong Lyu, Yunteng Wu,Wei Guo, Guoxin Ren. Loss of nuclear BAP1expression is associated with poorprognosis in oral mucosal melanoma. Oncotarget 2017; Apr 25:8(17):29080-29090.
Lewis K, Herold J, Sethi S. Intra-oral spitzoid MalignantMelanoma- unexpecteddiagnosis of a fibroepithelialpolyp. British J Oral Maxillofac Surg2014; 07.144
Lourenco SV, Sangueza MA, Sotto MN, BolognaSB, Giacomo TB, Buim ME et al. Primary oralmucosal melanoma: a series of 35 new cases from South America. Am Dermatopathol 2009;31(4):323–330.
Kruse A, Riener M, Graetz K, Luebbers H. Mucosalmalignant melanomas in head and neck surgery:a retrospective study of six patients and review of the literature. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;14:143–147
Ahmadi-Motamayel F, Falsafi P, Baghaei F. Reportof a rare and aggressive case of oral malignantmelanoma. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013; 17:47–51.
Sedassari B et al. In Situ Melanoma of the GingivaAssociated with Dense Inflammation and PigmentDeposition: A Potential Diagnostic Pitfall in Evaluating Stromal Invasion. Head and NeckPathol 2016; 10:547–551.
Hicks MJ, Flaitz CM. Oral mucosal melanoma: epidemiologynd pathobiology. Oral Oncol. 2000;36(2):152-69.
Gao Man Gu, Epstein J, Morton T. Intraoral melanoma:Long-term follow-up and implication fordental clinicians. A case report and literature review.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral RadiolEndod 2003; 96:404-13.
lengyel e, Gilde K, Remenar E, Esik O. MalignantMucosal Melanoma of the Head and Neck - a Review.Pathology Oncology Research 2003;9(1):7-12.
Belgaumi UI, Shetty P, Shirlal S. Oral malignant melanoma: A case report of an unusual clinical and histologic presentation. Dent Res J (Isfahan).2013; 10(3):404-7.
Alves IS, Berriel LG, Alves RT, Pinto MB, Oliveira CF, Cazzotto AC, Moura WV. Sinonasal Melanoma:A Case Report and Literature Review. CaseRep Oncol Med. 2017; Epub 2017 Jan 31.
Smith M et al. Melanoma of the Oral Cavity: anAnalysis of 46 New Cases with Emphasis on Clinicaland Histopathologic Characteristics. Head and Neck Pathol 2016; 10:298–305.
Pandiar D, Basheer S, Shameena PM, SudhaS, Dhana LJ. Amelanotic melanoma masqueradingas a granular cell lesion. Case Rep Dent;2013:924573.
Plavc G, But-Hadžić J, Aničin A, Lanišnik B,Didanović V, Strojan P. Mucosal melanoma of thehead and neck: a population-based study from Slovenia,1985-2013. Radiat Oncol. 2016; 11(1):137.
Neville B, Allen C, Damm D, Chi A. Oral andMaxillofacial Pathology. 4th ed. 2016. Canada:Elevier
Rawal YB, Dodson TB, Bal HS. Oral melanoma:Relevance to the dental team members. J Am DentAssoc. 2017 Feb; 148(2):113-119.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.