Oral health status in patients with epilepsy
AbstractIntroduction: Epilepsy is one of the most common chronic neurologic diseases. It has a great influence on quality of life, as it engages 1-3% of a society. Normally, 10% of the people of the societyhave experienced seizure once or several times during their lives. Regardingalldentistry aspects, they receive insufficient treatments, which might be due to the medical and economic status ofthem. Oral health is of paramount importance.Objective: This research aims at examining oral health status of the patients with epilepsy, comparing them with the non-patient ones from systemic point of view, and evaluating periodontal treatment needs.Materials and Method: Sixty patients were randomly includedin this cross-sectional study. They were divided into 2 subgroups of partial and general (based on frequencies of seizures, typeof seizure, and mental status). Sixty systemically non-patient people who referred to the Imam Khomeini Hospital for blood donation were randomly included in the study as the control group. They were medical and epilepsy history. Oral examinations were carried out. The Simplified OralHygiene Index (OHI-S), decay-missing-filled tooth (DMF-T), normal teeth abrasion rate (Abrasion Index), Prosthetic Index; periodontal treatment needs (CPITN) and Muhleman index were evaluated and a statistical comparison was made between the patient group and the control groupand between the epilepsy subgroups.Results: OHI-S index, DMF-T index, Muhlemman index and Prosthetic index of the patient group was considerably higher than the one of the control group. About CPITN index, In mandible, the patient group has a significant difference with the control group, except in the area of thesecond left molar.Conclusion: Several factors contributed to worsening oral health status in the patient group as compared with the control group. For example, the effect of seizure itself, negative attitudesof dentists, and social and economic conditions. We propose to start oral treatments concurrent with the treatments concerning epilepsy. Some special dental interventions were proposed for eachsubgroup.Keywords: Epilepsy, Oral healt, Periodontal.
A signature of author below certifies compliance with the following statements:
Copyright transfer; in signing this Agreement:
1. I hereby warrant that this article is an original work, has not been published before and is not being considered for publication elsewhere in its final form either in printed or electronic form;
2. I hereby warrant that you have obtained permission from the copyright holder to reproduce in the Article (in all media including print and electronic form) material not owned by you, and that you have acknowledged the source;
3. I hereby warrant that this article contains no violation of any existing copyright, moral rights or other third party right or any material of an obscene, indecent, defamatory or otherwise unlawful nature and that to the best of your knowledge this Article does not infringe the rights of others;
4. I hereby warrant that in the case of a multi-authored Article you have obtained, in writing, authorization to enter into this Agreement on their behalf and that all co-authors have read and agreed the terms of this agreement;
5. I warrant that any formula or dosage given is accurate and will not if properly followed injure any person;
6. I have made a significant scientific contribution to the study and I have read the complete manuscript and take responsibility for the content and completeness of the final surmised manuscript;
7. I will indemnify and keep indemnified the Editors, the Journal's Editor against all claims and expenses (including legal costs and expenses) arising from any breach of this warranty and the other warranties on your behalf in this Agreement.
Conflict of interest disclosure
All institutional or corporeal affixations of mine and all funding sources for the study are acknowledged. I certify that I have no commercial association that might represent a conflict of interest in connection with the submitted manuscript.